A supremely talented singer, guitarist, songwriter and actor, JOSH WHITE was a staunch civil rights activist, at a time when it was both unfashionable and dangerous; but after he was denounced as a communist by the McCarthyites, at the peak of his popularity, he was unable to work in the U.S. for more than a decade.
He subsequently became one of the first Blues musicians to reside in Europe, basing himself variously in London (where he even had his own BBC radio show), Paris and Stockholm, as the work took him.
These two albums, 'The Josh White Stories Volumes 1 and 2', were recorded in New York for ABC Records, in 1956-57, during his 'lost decade'.
They were aimed at the burgeoning Folk Boom market in The States, and would ultimately serve to introduce him to a new, younger, hipper college undergraduate audience.
Neither of these LPs has previously ever appeared on CD, which makes this compilation a mandatory purchase for Josh White and general Blues fans, alike.
1. BOLL WEEVIL
3. WHAT'CHA GONNA DO WHEN THE MEAT GIVES OUT?
4. I'M A MEAN MISTREATER
5. FRANKIE AND JOHNNY
6. THE HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN
7. DUPREE BLUES
8. COTTON-EYED JOE
9. NOBODY KNOWS YOU WHEN YOU'RE DOWN AND OUT
10. WHEN I LAY DOWN AND DIE, DO DIE
11. HARD TIME BLUES
12. NEVER SAID A MUMBLIN' WORD
13. GOOD MORNING BLUES
14. THE GREY GOOSE
15. YOU WON'T LET ME GO
16. DON'T SMOKE IN BED
17. TROUBLE IN MIND
18. SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE A MOTHERLESS CHILD (feat: Beverly White, vocal)
19. TWO LITTLE FISHES AND FIVE LOAVES OF BREAD
20. I KNOW MOONLIGHT (feat: Beverly White, vocal)
21. RED RIVER
22. I HAD A WOMAN
23. FINE AND MELLOW
24. STRANGE FRUIT
|Release Date||January 10th, 2020|
|UPC Bar Code No||604988 31482 3|
The Josh WHITE Stories Vols: 1 & 2
- Product Code: JASMCD 3148
- Availability: In Stock